Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Science of Why Korean Soap Operas are so Good


    Before I fully go into my blogpost, I have something to admit. Blogger was not my ideal/first choice for the home of my blog. My first choice was Tumblr. I was signing up for it only three days ago or so. I had already gotten my username in, my email address, the works. But then came that one question that made me hesitate to answer. How old are you? Already in my head I could hear Admiral Ackbar's voice ringing out, "It's a trap!"
    I know what everyone is thinking or saying right now, "Julia, what the hell is wrong with you?" or "You couldn't lie about your age...to a computer?"
   Well, technically it wasn't a computer I was lying to; I was lying to a website. What can I say, for some reason I got all paranoid that tumblr would find out that I was fourteen and then kick me off. Honesty was the best policy that day...or maybe not. Everyone is on tumblr, not Blogger. Anyways, as soon as I do get over the paranoria I'll sign right up and repost every blogpost I have. But let me just note that the How old are you? question just had a small blank. It wasn't the usual type in the date of your birth question. It was only asking for one number. That was probably what made me kinda suspicious of it.
   Anywho, let me get right to the title of this blog. If you are familiar with the works of American Soap Opera, I'm sorry, but it sucks. Korean soap operas are the way to go, mostly because it actually looks as if it were filmed in this year instead of the 90s or 80s. The plot is always different. They never overuse common situations that American soaps do (for example: teen pregnancy, AIDS, or cancer) but if they use those examples, they milk it better than we can. They add comic relief, they add drama when they can. I am so happy that Netflix had chosen to have these on their Watch Instantly page.
   So far I've been on a marathon of Secret Garden, Shining Inheritance, and Lie to Me. "How many hours did you watch, Julia?" Glad you asked. About the equivalent of a Starwars marathon followed up by an Indiana Jones marathon, but you fall asleep during Raiders of the Last Ark. Secret Garden was my first soap opera watched and NOT made fun of. I became hooked. So far, if my friend Alan reads this, he knows what I'm talking about. But hey, who even reads my blog? Actually according to Blogger about twenty to thirty people do. Well, for those twenty to thirty people, good job! You have won a prize. And what is that prize?, you may ask. It is the thought of doing something nice. So spend that prize wisely!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment